Lighting rules for restaurants and cafes (2)
The location of the lighting fixtures in the room
We will give a few rules that must be taken into account when designing the location of lighting fixtures in a restaurant:
- The main purpose of a restaurant is food. So unlike banks, offices, or other public places where the light is evenly spaced, keep the above three levels of lighting in mind. A separate source of functional lighting should be placed above each table (best of all, in the center of the table). The rest of the room area is illuminated by additional devices, which are especially useful when rearranging tables for banquet seating. This will contribute to the maximum comfort of visitors and favorably illuminate the food on the table.
- Again, let's remember about zoning. The lighting of the main halls for visitors should be both soft and comfortable, and at the same time sufficient for reading the menu and communication. The lighting of the Lounge area should be more subdued and relaxing, and it is better to make the light itself indirect, reflected. To do this, you can focus on hidden wall lights, designer lighting. Separate light accents require functional areas (entrances, bar, halls and aisles) and decor elements.
- Modern technical capabilities make it possible to equip lighting devices with dimmers (or power controllers). Don't neglect this feature. By dimming the main light, you can create the right atmosphere and adjust the light depending on the time of day. You can not use the same level of illumination for an invigorating breakfast or creating a business atmosphere during the day and during a romantic dinner in the evening. For variability of the situation, the use of adjustable color lighting is also suitable.
- No less convenient is the creation of so-called lighting groups. By grouping lights, you can adjust the light level based on the time of day or proximity to a source of natural light.
- Lamp bulbs (of course, if they are not a design solution) should be hidden from the eyes of visitors. Diffused or reflected light is considered ideal. This can be achieved with the help of a competent arrangement of lighting fixtures, recessed ceiling lights, hidden ceiling or wall lighting, lampshades, etc.
- Well, the last in order, but almost the first in importance. Daylight. When designing a restaurant, it is important to provide as many sources of daylight as possible, because it is not only free, but also the most comfortable.
Lighting as a design element
Modern possibilities of lighting are quite large and allow almost any interior to be made much more luxurious and more stylish, and even food in a beautiful setting can seem tastier. Conversely, a room that is too bright or too dark (even with expensive renovation) is unlikely to be conducive to a pleasant pastime. Therefore, we advise you to consider the lighting of your restaurant or cafe as the most important element of its design.
Here are some of the nuances that you should pay attention to:
- Each type of establishment and style of interior has its own rules for choosing lamps. For example, in an ordinary pizzeria, candlesticks and expensive chandeliers are unlikely to be in place, while a gourmet restaurant can not be lit with multi-colored RGB lights. This is where a designer can help you.
- In addition to functional areas, do not forget to highlight all decorative elements: paintings, flower vases, sculptures, etc.
- Recently, lighting elements are increasingly becoming independent decorative elements. Designer lamps, bare light bulbs and other unexpected solutions can be the highlight of your establishment.
Summing up, it should be noted that the correct organization of lighting in your restaurant is one of the most important success factors for your business. Therefore, we advise you not to neglect the services of specialists in this matter.